To import an entire plain text file, RTF file, or RTFD file into the Freeform Text Area of a single new record:
1. In the Finder, make sure that the text file to be imported has a .txt, .text, .rtf, or .rtfd file name extension. This is the only way iData has of recognizing valid text files. (Note: However, you should not try to import files of other types by simply changing the file name extension. This will not work, and may cause iData to crash.)
2. Open the datafile into which you wish to import the text file, making sure that it is the frontmost datafile in iData. (If the datafile is already open, and if it has had any changes made to it, it would be a good idea to save those changes before proceeding.)
3. Select Text File As a Record... from the Import sub-menu under the File menu.
4. In the Open dialog that comes up next, navigate to the file to be imported, select it, and click the Open button.
A new record will be created, and the contents of the text file will be put into the Freeform Text Area of that record. If you are satisfied with the result, you should save the changed datafile immediately.
If you are not satisfied with the result, you can do any of the following:
1. Delete the newly added record by clicking the "minus" toolbar button, or by typing command-hyphen.
2. Revert the datafile by selecting Revert... under the File menu.
3. Close the datafile without saving changes.
Options 2 and 3, above, assume that you had no unsaved changes before you began the import process.