New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.31 (11/04/17)
Bug Fix:1. Fixed a bug where the Split Datafile function (under the File menu) failed to strip out the records that were split off into the new datafile.
1. Added a new Record Size item to the Show Datafile Information function (under the View menu).
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.30 (09/26/17)New:
1.Updated Dropbox synchronization routines to use v.2 of the Dropbox Software Development Kit. This was done because v.1 of the SDK will no longer function after 09/30/17. This change means that Dropbox synchronization will be available only under OS 10.10 or later, although iData Pro 4 will run under OS 10.7 or later.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.29 (07/04/17)
Bug Fix:1. Fixed a bug that prevented newly created templates from showing up in the Templates menu immediately after being saved.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.28 (03/11/17)
Bug Fix:1. Fixed a bug that caused the Sort Tasks sub-menu under the Edit menu to fail to display user-created sort tasks.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.27 (02/28/17)
3. Added Save As New Sync File... item to the File menu. This menu item is to be used when creating a new sync file. Therefore, Synchronize Datafiles... under the File menu is now to be used only when synchronizing two existing datafiles. Previously, Synchronize Datafiles... performed both functions, depending on whether the current datafile had a Sync ID. This change is added to increase flexibility in cases where the user needs to create more than one sync file for a particular datafile.
4. Sync IDs are no longer checked before performing local synchronization. They were never checked before for Dropbox and WiFi synchronization, and it is really unnecessary, since field structure is checked prior to synchronization, to assure that all fields match. The main function of Sync IDs now is to prevent the deletion or addition of fields in the Modify Fields function.
5. Added two new functions for sorting text in the Freeform Text Area (FTA) of a record as lines. They are Sort Current FTA By Line and Reverse Sort Current FTA By Line, both under the Edit menu.
6. Added a new item, Current Field in Next Record to the Activate sub-menu, under the Edit menu. The command key for this menu item is option-command-] (option-command-right square bracket). In the case of freeform datafiles, the Freeform Text Area is activated in the next record, since there are no fields.
7. Added a new section to the User Guide: Efficient Data Entry in Field-based Datafiles. A link to this can be found under Section 1 of the User Guide Index.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.26 (02/03/17)
Bug Fix:1. Fixed problem that occurred when text was selected in in the Freeform Text Area and a file or folder link was inserted.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.25 (01/10/17)
Bug Fix:1. Fixed the Format and Web Address tabs of the Datafile Settings window. Some items had gotten moved out of the window in the iData Pro 4.0.20 update.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.24 (01/08/17)
Bug Fixes:1. Fixed a bug where the default datafiles folder could not be changed more than once during a session.
2. Fixed a bug where the Save dialog for new datafiles (including imported datafiles) did not always default to the default datafiles folder.
Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.23
1. Fixed a bug that could cause Print Single Envelope or Label to fail to show the template sheet.
Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.22
1. When a search finds the target text in the Freeform Text Area, the text color is now temporarily changed to a color. This makes it much easier to see the selected text when the FTA is not active. The default found text color is red. See in User Guide.
2. When a search finds the target text in one or more field, one field is made active and the field text is changed to a color. See in User Guide.
NOTE: Since the Find Box will not be active in this case, you cannot use a simple return or shift-return to repeat the search. So, it is probably best to simply get into the habit of using command- G for forward searches and command-shift-G for reverse searches in all cases.
3. Added a Set Found Text Color: item to the General tab in the iData Pro Preferences window. The default color is red, but this may not be the best color for everyone.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.21 (10/04 /16)Bug Fixes:
1. Fixed a bug in the Multi-File Find function that caused searches with the All Datafiles in the Datafiles Menu option to always fail.
2. Fixed a bug in the Services tab of the Preferences window that could cause it to fail to load properly.
3. Fixed a bug in telephone dialing that caused it to fail.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.20 (08/14 /16)
New:1. Broke the General tab of the Datafile Settings window into two -- General and Always. This was done to make the window fit smaller laptop screens.
1. Fixed a bug that caused split view of a freeform datafile to fail to remain completely closed when the datafile was closed and reopened.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.19 (07/17 /16)
New:1. iData Pro can now synchronize .id3 datafiles to the new, FREE iData Mobile Plus for the iPhone and iPad. See changes to the User Guide to find out about this change.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.18 (06/28/16)
New:1. Added a Sort Tasks sub-menu to the Edit menu. When sorting a datafile using the Sort Datafile... menu item in the Edit menu, the sort dialogs now include an option to add the sorting options you have selected as a named "sort task" to the Sort Tasks sub-menu. To repeat a particular set of sorting options at any time, you just select that sort task from the sub-menu. These tasks are datafile-specific, and you can have as many as you need for any datafile. A sort task item may be removed from the sub-menu by holding down the option key while selecting the item. See in User Guide.
2. Added a Change Datafiles Folder... menu item to the Datafiles menu. This item lets you change to a different folder to be used by iData Pro to build the Datafiles menu. See in User Guide.
3. Added a Change Templates Folder... menu item to the Templates menu. This item lets you change to a different folder to be used by iData Pro to build the Templates menu. See in User Guide.
4. Added Show Datafiles Folder in Finder and Show Templates Folder in Finder menu items to the File menu. These may come in handy if you get confused while changing your datafiles and templates folders using the two preceding functions. See in User Guide.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.17 (05/22/16)
New:1. When opening a datafile, iData now checks to see if the number of records in the Catalog listing (which determines which records are viewed, and in what order) matches the number of records actually contained in the datafile. If a discrepancy is found, the user is asked whether to correct it or ignore it. This kind of error can occur if a datafile is corrupted -- for example, while being transmitted by email, or due to a power outage while it is being saved.
1. Fixed a bug that caused the Always open this datafile: To the most recently viewed record option in Datafile Settings to fail.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.16 (04/20/16)
New:1. Grab Web Address From Browser and related features now work with the Yandex browser.
1. Fixed an obscure bug that caused the numbers 8232 and 8233 to undergo some odd changes when typed or pasted into fields.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.15 (03/23/16)
New:1. WiFi synchronization now works as before.
2. Check for Updates now works as before.
1. Fixed a problem with field font settings in Print Selected Records (List View).
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.14 (03/12/16)
Change:1. Changed the Web address of the Updates information. This was done to fix a problem that arose due to changes that were made in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.13 (10/18/15)
New:1. Made the following changes regarding case-sensitive searching: (See User Guide.)
a Removed the Perform Case-sensitive Searches item from the Find sub-menu, under the Edit menu.
.b. Case-sensitive searching is now toggled by control-clicking the magnifying glass image to the left of the Find Box. When case-sensitive searching is turned on, the magnifying glass image will include an A character.
c. Case-sensitive searching is now set for each individual datafile, rather than being saved as an application-wide preference.
1. Fixed a URL activation bug where hyphens were not being treated as valid URL characters.
2. Fixed a conflict between:
a. Preferences…, General tab, Highlight Find Box when window comes forward
b. Datafile Settings, Format tab, Permit line wrapping in Basic View fields
3. Fixed a bug where toggling the toolbar style in one datafile did not immediately update it in other open datafiles.
4. Fixed a bug where modem dialing could cause a hang if a previously selected modem was no longer available.
5. Fixed a bug, introduced in 4.0.11, where the toolbar did not appear in the window for editing records that are too large for a label or envelope template.
6. Fixed a bug, introduced in 4.0.11, where no .lock file was being created when opening a datafile for which the File will be shared on the network (lock on opening) setting was turned on.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.12 (07/17/15)
New:1. Modified General datafile settings appearance to be more consistent among supported versions of OS X.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.11 (07/15/15)
New:1. Added Set new password for this datafile: item to the General datafile settings. Note that setting a password will NOT provide any real security, since datafiles can be opened in any word processor. This function is provided simply as a management tool for administrators who need to restrict the ability to change datafile content to specific individuals. See User Guide.
2. Added Scale Freeform Text Area sub-menu to the View menu. This sub-menu includes a range of scale values from 10% through 6400%. The 100% item can be selected using command-shift-zero). There are also Reduce (command-shift-hyphen) and Enlarge (command-shift-equal) items. A group of Reduce and Enlarge toolbar buttons have also been added. (Select Customize Toolbar… under the View menu to add that group to your toolbar.) Scaling applies only to the Freeform Text Area, since it is likely to include pasted text and images, while the text sizes for the Find Box and Fields can be set in the Format datafile settings. See User Guide.
3. Added Print Current Freeform Selection… to the Print sub-menu under the File menu. (command-option-P) This command will print whatever text is selected (highlighted) in the Freeform Text Area. See User Guide.
4. Added Toggle Toolbar Style to the View menu. (command-control-T) This command will toggle the datafile window toolbar between the “classic” button set and a new “minimalist” set. The minimalist toolbar is more uniform than the classic toolbar. Both styles of menu now treat related items as groups. (NOTE: Due to what we believe are one or more system bugs, the regular size group icons may be truncated, or the small size group icons may be spaced too widely following the selection or deselection of the Use Small Size option in the toolbar's pop-up menu. This is a temporary problem that can be fixed by closing and reopening the datafile after making that change. Also, if the toolbar customization palette is brought up while the Use small size option is selected, the group icons will be truncated in the palette. These bugs have been reported to Apple.) See User Guide.
5. Added Perform Case-Sensitive Searches to the Find sub-menu under the Edit menu. (command-option-C) When this option is turned on, a checkmark will appear next to the menu item. (Removed the equivalent item from the General preference pane.)
6. Added Do not save changes to the window if the content has not changed item to the General iData Pro preferences. This option is provided for those who do not want the Modified Date of their datafiles to change every time they change the window appearance without changing any of the datafile content. Please note that this option is not compatible with the Always open this datafile: To the most recently viewed record in General datafile settings, which requires that the most recently viewed record info be saved every time the datafile is closed. Therefore that option will not be available in the datafile settings window. See User Guide.
1. Fixed a bug where the Highlight Find Box when window comes forward item in General preferences did not take effect in the Basic View windows of field-based datafiles.
2. Now, when in Word Search mode (Web search engine-style search, where spaces separate search keys and double-quotes are used to combine words into single search targets), the And Search toolbar button (&&) and the equivalent menu item are disabled.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.10 (03/19/15)
Bug Fix:1. Fixed a bug that would cause a crash when quitting iData Pro with the Special Preference set to confirm when quitting.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.9 (03/06/15)
1. Changed ampersand search symbol from '&' to &&. This was done because the straight single quotes will be automatically changed to curly quotes if “smart quotes” are turned on in System Preference, causing the search to fail. Also, && is used in iData Mobile and is easier to type.
2. Added a note to the Modify Fields
window that is shown when the datafile has a sync
ID, explaining that fields cannot be inserted or
1. Fixed a bug that could cause a crash or failure when deleting a field in the Modify Fields function.
2. Fixed a bug that could cause Dropbox syncing to fail under OS 10.8.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.8 (01/15/15)Bug Fix:
1. Removed extraneous beeps from the Find routines. (Left in after being used in debugging.)
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.7 (01/12/15)
1. Instead of preventing the
creation of WiFi sync files over 5 MB in size,
iData now just puts up a warning, which can be
1. Fixed a bug that prevented the addition of static text fields in label and envelope templates.
2. Fixed some problems with the new routines for setting the location of the iData 3 Datafiles and iData 3 Templates folders.
3. Fixed a bug that prevented the opening of auto-open datafiles when iData was launched.
4. iData Pro is once again recognized as being from an "identified developer".
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.6 (10/10/14)
New:1. It is now easy to change the location of your iData 3 Datafiles and iData 3 Templates folders. Here are the steps:
a. With iData Pro closed, create an enclosing folder wherever you like. (You could call it iData, for example.)
b. Drag your iData 3 Datafiles and iData 3 Templates folders into the new enclosing folder.
c. Run iData Pro. When iData Pro doesn't find your folders where it expects them, it will put up a dialog asking where you want them to be.
d. Select the second radio button, as shown below, and click OK.
e. In the Open window that follows, select the enclosing folder (e.g., iData, NOT either of the moved folders), then click the Select button.
f. Check the Datafiles and Templates menus in iData Pro. They should show up just as they did before.
This procedure can used as often as you wish -- even to move your folders back to the default location.
Bug Fixes:1. Changed the implementation of the Find Box to handle System changes that affected the entry of classic multi-target style (using '&' to separate target text into chunks). Somewhere around OS 10.9.5, the System started ignoring text settings in the Find Box and started converting straight quotes to curly quotes, leading to failure in parsing multi-target text.
2. Fixed a bug where multi-target searches (using either classic or web-style entry) would fail if a target in the Freeform Text Area preceded a target in a field.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.5 (09/16/14)
1. Changed the way datafiles
are written to Dropbox during synchronization, so
that they always overwrite the old version,
instead of sometimes writing the new version with
a number appended to the file name.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.4 (09/09/14)
1. Improved importing of CSV
(Comma Separated Values) files. Missing field data
and excess field data are now made to fit, and
noted within the datafile.
1. Fixed a bug that caused iData to crash when using one of the Grab Web Address functions if Firefox was the frontmost browser. (Firefox no longer returns URL info via Apple Script, so it is best to close it before using this function.)
2. Corrected internal data that could cause iData Pro items in the Services menus of other applications to bring up iData 3, if installed, or to simply fail if iData 3 was not present. The iData 3 Services items, Send Selection to iData and Grab URL and Selection, have been renamed for iData Pro 4. They are now called Send Selection and Send URL and Selection, respectively. Note that the latter function will not work with the Firefox browser.
3. Fixed a bug that caused the Save As... routine to fail if the datafile had a Sync ID.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.3 (08/21/14)
New:1. Existing datafiles in the iData 3 Datafiles folder will no longer get overwritten when importing the entire iData Datafiles folder.
1. Fixed a bug in iData 1 datafile import routines that failed to render field names properly.
New Features and Changes in iData Pro 4.0.2 (08/20/14)
New:1. Added a Close All Open Datafiles item to the File menu. The hot key for this is command-option-W. This menu item closes only datafiles, not any other windows that may also be open (such as the Multi-File Find panel).
1. Fixed a bug in each of several import routines that could cause iData Pro to hang when running under OS versions earlier than 10.9 (Mavericks).
2. Replaced the missing Stop Editing toolbar button that is added to the toolbar when editing data that is too large to fit a particular envelope or label template.
New Features and Changes in
iData Pro 4.0.1 (08/10/14)
New:1. iData Pro is now recognized as being from an "identified developer".
1. Fixed a bug in Multi-file Find that could cause a hang or crash when Search: All Datafiles in the Datafiles Menu was chosen.
New Features and Changes in
iData Pro 4.0 (08/01/14)
1. Added routines to synchronize datafiles via Dropbox, replacing the routines for the now defunct MobileMe/iDisk.
2. Added a Toggle button
with a magnifying glass icon between the Backward Search
Search buttons (at the left side of the
Find Box). This toggles between the normal search
function and a simple record filter (selection)
function. When the filter function is active, the
button changes to a Select All
button, while the Forward Search button changes to a
Quick Select button.
3. Added an option to use Web
search engine-style entry of target strings in the
Find Box. Option-clicking the Toggle button
changes the button icon between a left-slanting
magnifying glass with an ampersand in it (showing
that target strings should be in classic iData
style) and a right-slanting magnifying glass with
double quotes (showing that target strings should
be in search engine style, with spaces separating
multiple targets and double quotes required to
include spaces as part of the target). In both
cases, unlike Web search engines, non-alphanumeric
characters are not
treated as spaces.
4. Added a Select Empty Fields button to the Modify fields dialog to select all fields that are empty in every record. If desired, these fields can then be deleted.
5. Added Edit/Records/Delete
All Selected Records menu item. Before
deleting all selected records, the pre-deletion
datafile is backed up to a Backups folder. The
backed up datafile will have the format Datafile Name
MM-DD-YY_hh•mm•ss. The backup process can
be turned off using the Don't backup datafiles after Delete
Selected Records operation checkbox
in the Special preference
9. Added the following items
to the Records
sub-menu of the Edit menu: Lock All Records,
Records, and Undo Previous Lock/Unlock All.
10. Added CSV (Comma Separated Values) File... to the Export As and Import sub-menus under the File menu.
|Return to Main Help Page|